Are You Asking "What Should I Wear?"
Of course you are, and it is a great question. The main point of the headshot is to portray yourself as the confident, approachable person that you are. Our goal is to bring out your best physical features, so let's not overpower the face with clothing that is too bold, too old or too shabby.
General Guidelines for Headshot Clothing
If you have selected a package that involves more than one look, you should absolutely overpack when coming for your headshot session. I would always rather you have way more choices in the studio than not enough.
- Simple solid colors are great.
- Wear clothing that makes you feel good....something that makes you feel confident. If you don't have great arms, keep them covered. If a tie makes you feel like you are choking and you don't have to wear one, then don't.
- Avoid busy patterns and logos.
- Avoid things that are poofy, frilly or boxy.
- 7 shirts of the same style but different colors does not make 7 different looks.
- Don’t worry about being seasonal. Light jackets and layers are fantastic. Putting a jacket on or taking it off can easily change a look.
- Make sure the clothing you bring fits you correctly – if you haven’t worn it recently, try it on beforehand! If it makes you look too bulky or sloppy, don't bring it.
- Bring your clothes freshly washed (or dry cleaned) and be sure they are ironed – if something is missing a button or has stains or tears, don’t bring it.
- If you are unsure about something, bring it.
- No necklaces or chains and only wear small stud earrings.
What About My Hair? What About My Makeup? Should I Shave?
Help!! I'm Not Photogenic
Have you ever uttered those words? I know I have. It wasn't until I was photographed by the world renown headshot photographer, Peter Hurley, that I finally had photos of myself that I loved. It was because of his expertise and coaching during our session that the results I had dreamed of were achieved. Now I am a protege of Peter Hurley and I have the opportunity to share with you what he shared with me. So lets get you ready!
Have a look at these videos by the man himself and you will become familiar with a few of the coaching basics you will be hearing from me. You CAN look amazing in your headshots, with just a little bit of preparation and direction!